Law Office of Troy J. Mattes, P.C.
Contact Us To Get Started 717-208-2481 // 800-574-5563

Why would Americans need to sponsor immigrant siblings?

It may seem counterintuitive, but not all siblings share the same citizenship and one may need to sponsor the other for a green card. Although many people in Lancaster likely do share the same citizenship, whether American or otherwise, there are some who don't and want to bring their siblings to the country. As with any other family member being sponsored for permanent residency, there are specific requirements that must be met.

Just a point of clarification, while this works for any combination of American citizen and non-American sibling, for ease of discussion, we will refer to an American sister and her non-American brother.

So, how would two siblings be of different citizenships? The easiest answer would be that the American citizen was born to non-American parents when they were in the United States while her brother was born outside of the United States. Since children born on American soil automatically acquire citizenship, she would have been born an American even if no one else in her family is an American.

There are other possibilities as to how a woman could be an American and her brother wouldn't be. Let's say that the siblings only share a non-American father. If the woman's mother is an American, she will inherit her mother's citizenship, even if she was born abroad. If her brother's mother was not an American, however, he wouldn't be an American citizen.

Finally, one of the other ways that two siblings could have different citizenships is if one moved to the United States as an adult and then naturalized as an American citizen. While the siblings may have once shared the same citizenship, the woman would now have American citizenship in addition to or instead of her former citizenship.

Regardless of how two siblings may have different citizenships from each other, if they can prove certain relationships, the American sibling can sponsor the non-American for a green card.

Source: New York Daily News, "U.S. citizen can petition for green cards for his immigrant brothers, if their mother won't," Allen Wernick, Jan. 5, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Today

Our clients choose us and stay with us because we are honest about what we can do, and we have built a strong record of successful results. We invite you to learn more about the Law Office of Troy J. Mattes, P.C., and to contact us with your immigration law questions.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of Troy J. Mattes, P.C.
132 East Chestnut Street
Lancaster, PA 17602

Toll Free: 800-574-5563
Phone: 717-208-2481
Fax: 717-299-1535
Lancaster Law Office

Make a Payment | Paypal Visa | Matercard | American Express | Discover Network