Mattes & Mahon, PC
Contact Us To Get Started 717-208-2481 // 800-574-5563

The requirements to obtain a foreign media visa

Foreign media representatives could qualify for I visas to work in Pennsylvania or other U.S. states. Individuals who generally qualify for these nonimmigrant visas are reporters, editors, film crew members and similar members of the media. However, they must meet certain eligibility requirements.

To be granted an I nonimmigrant visa, an individual has to be a member of a foreign media outlet, perform tasks that are vital to the media outlet's function and work in a home office in that foreign country. A U.S. embassy consular officer determines which tasks qualify for the employment visa. The individual also has to be entering the United States only to work in this profession. If the individual has a spouse or a child under 21, they are allowed to join the I nonimmigrant individual upon the submission and approval of their application.

The process begins with the individual submitting an I visa application with the U.S. consulate or embassy in the individual's country of permanent residence, even if that country is engaged in the Visa Waiver Program. The foreign media representative cannot try to enter the United States and work without the I nonimmigrant visa. Upon entry into the United States, a Customs and Border Protection officer stamps Form I-94, which contains the duration of stay allowed for the foreign media representative. I nonimmigrant visa holders generally do not have to apply for an extension if they do not change media outlets or employers.

Some foreign media representatives might not be sure about whether their tasks are essential to the operations of the organization they serve. Before applying, they could talk to the U.S. embassy about what activities qualify. If their families will be traveling with them and they need help with the application process, they could ask immigration lawyers for assistance.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Today

Our clients choose us and stay with us because we are honest about what we can do, and we have built a strong record of successful results. We invite you to learn more about the Law Office of Troy J. Mattes, P.C., and to contact us with your immigration law questions.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mattes & Mahon, PC
132 East Chestnut Street
Lancaster, PA 17602

Toll Free: 800-574-5563
Phone: 717-208-2481
Fax: 717-299-1535
Map & Directions

Make a Payment | Paypal Visa | Matercard | American Express | Discover Network