Mattes & Mahon, PC
Contact Us To Get Started 717-208-2481 // 800-574-5563

Establishing U.S. citizenship for Pennsylvania minors

When a child under the age of 18 comes to the United States, he or she may automatically become a United States citizen when both parents become citizens. However, for those who were 18 prior to February 2001, they may become citizens if their only naturalized parent was their mother or their other parent was deceased. In the event that a child's parents got divorced, a child could be automatically naturalized if the parent with legal custody becomes naturalized.

However, depending on when the child is born, it may also be possible that he or she could become a citizen if even one parent was born or naturalized in the United States. In addition, the child would have to become a permanent resident prior to turning 18 and cannot be married. The law does not specify whether permanent residency or the parent's naturalization comes first as long as both criteria are satisfied.

Those who are looking to prove that they are in the United States legally as citizens may wish to apply for a United States passport. It may also be possible to verify citizenship by obtaining Form N-600, which is a certificate of citizenship. That form may be obtained through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Anyone who is looking to become a U.S. citizen can do so if they meet the residency and other requirements. To make it easier to complete the process, it may be worthwhile to talk to an immigration and naturalization attorney. An attorney may be able to review the case and answer any questions that an individual may have. For those who don't speak English or speak it well, an attorney may act as a helpful liaison while filling out paperwork or while conducting interviews with government officials.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Today

Our clients choose us and stay with us because we are honest about what we can do, and we have built a strong record of successful results. We invite you to learn more about the Law Office of Troy J. Mattes, P.C., and to contact us with your immigration law questions.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mattes & Mahon, PC
132 East Chestnut Street
Lancaster, PA 17602

Toll Free: 800-574-5563
Phone: 717-208-2481
Fax: 717-299-1535
Map & Directions

Make a Payment | Paypal Visa | Matercard | American Express | Discover Network