Mattes & Mahon, PC
Contact Us To Get Started 717-208-2481 // 800-574-5563

Family immigration problems that can be solved with a K-4 visa

Pennsylvania parents can likely imagine how stressful it would be to endure long separations from their children. Many military parents know what this is like, especially if called to active duty overseas. Parents navigating the family immigration process also often have periods of time where some family members are already in the United States while others remain in their countries of origin. In some cases, a K-4 visa can help parents reunite with their children.

A K-4 visa is a temporary legal status that allows a child to be brought to the U.S. to reside with his or her parent while awaiting permanent visa processing. As with most immigrant application processes, there are various forms and fees involved, in addition to eligibility requirements that must first be met to qualify for an application. It's often helpful for a parent to seek assistance from an experienced immigration attorney rather than try to address such issues alone.

The main factor of eligibility for a K-4 visa is that the child's parent must already be a K-3 visa holder. The K-3 visa is granted to non-immigrant spouses of U.S. citizens. It too is a temporary visa. Only children who are under age 21 or unmarried are eligible for K-4 visas. 

At the end of two years or when a child turns 21, the K-4 visa expires. Family immigration processes can be quite daunting. A mistake may cause delays or entirely prevent a loved one from coming to the country. By turning to an experienced Pennsylvania attorney for support, the process may be less stressful for those involved.

Source:, "Bringing your children to the US", Accessed on Jan. 21, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Today

Our clients choose us and stay with us because we are honest about what we can do, and we have built a strong record of successful results. We invite you to learn more about the Law Office of Troy J. Mattes, P.C., and to contact us with your immigration law questions.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mattes & Mahon, PC
132 East Chestnut Street
Lancaster, PA 17602

Toll Free: 800-574-5563
Phone: 717-208-2481
Fax: 717-299-1535
Map & Directions

Make a Payment | Paypal Visa | Matercard | American Express | Discover Network