Our Staff Is Fluent In Spanish And French. We Also Have Easy Access To Other Translators.

  1. Home
  2.  ~ 
  3. Practice Areas
  4.  ~ 
  5. Naturalization & Citizenship
  6.  ~ What Happens If My Child Is Born In America

What Happens If My Child Is Born In America?

Entering parenthood is a journey filled with joy and challenges, but for some, it also raises questions about legal implications, especially if their child is born in America. Understanding the implications of this event is crucial. With the help of an immigration lawyer, you can receive adequate guidance and support.

Law Office of Troy J. Mattes, P.C., has been serving the Lancaster and York areas of Pennsylvania. With over 25 years of experience in immigration law, our attorneys bring a wealth of knowledge and experience. We are fluent in French and Spanish, allowing us to serve clients from diverse linguistic backgrounds. If you are grappling with the implications of your child being born in America, we are here to guide you every step.

Birthright Citizenship Is Your Child’s Right

In the United States, the principle of birthright citizenship grants citizenship to anyone born within the country’s territorial boundaries. This is regardless of their parent’s citizenship status.

When a child is born in America to parents who are not citizens, they automatically acquire U.S. citizenship at birth. This means the child enjoys all the rights and privileges afforded to U.S. citizens, including:

  • Access to education
  • Health care
  • Employment opportunities
  • The ability to vote once they reach the age of majority

Additionally, they are subject to the obligations and responsibilities of U.S. citizenship, such as paying taxes and obeying U.S. laws. While a child born in America to noncitizen parents automatically becomes a U.S. citizen, the parents’ citizenship status may vary.

The child’s citizenship status does not affect the parent’s immigration status; if eligible, they would need to pursue separate legal processes to obtain citizenship or legal residency.

Get Represented By Experienced Immigration Attorneys

At Law Office of Troy J. Mattes, P.C., we have personal experience with the Departments of Homeland Security and Justice. If your child is born in America, consult our Pennsylvania lawyers for clarity on the available pathways. Call 800-574-5563 or use our online form today to schedule a consultation.