Mattes & Mahon, PC
Contact Us To Get Started 717-208-2481 // 800-574-5563

How do I become a U.S. citizen if I have a green card?

Pennsylvania residents may not realize that one of the most common paths to citizenship in the United States is applying for naturalization after holding a green card. An individual who has had a green card for a minimum of five years may be able to qualify for citizenship if certain additional requirements are met. A Form N-400, also called Application for Naturalization, is used to apply for citizenship.

The additional requirements to begin the naturalization process include being at least 18 years old when applying, residing continuously in the U.S. during the prior five years and being physically present for a minimum of 30 months during that period. Additionally, an applicant for naturalization much be continuously present in the country from the date of application until the desired status is granted. The candidate for naturalization must also reside in the area which has jurisdiction over the case for a minimum of three months in advance of filing an application.

While many requirements relate to residence and location, it is also important for an applicant to recognize that good moral character based on the nation's constitutional principles is required. Applicants are expected to speak, read and write English, and they must demonstrate an understanding of the nation's history and governmental background.

An individual who is contemplating getting ready to apply for naturalization may want to investigate the requirements far in advance of reaching the five-year time requirement to ensure that requirements for physical presence in the country aren't inadvertently missed. It is also possible to begin working on language and history requirements early in the time spent in the country to ensure preparedness upon fulfilling time requirements. An immigration lawyer may be helpful at various stages of the process, providing assistance with applications and supplying information about local resources for language and history studies.

Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, "Path to U.S. Citizenship", September 08, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Today

Our clients choose us and stay with us because we are honest about what we can do, and we have built a strong record of successful results. We invite you to learn more about the Law Office of Troy J. Mattes, P.C., and to contact us with your immigration law questions.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mattes & Mahon, PC
132 East Chestnut Street
Lancaster, PA 17602

Toll Free: 800-574-5563
Phone: 717-208-2481
Fax: 717-299-1535
Map & Directions

Make a Payment | Paypal Visa | Matercard | American Express | Discover Network