Our Staff Is Fluent In Spanish and French. We Also Have Easy Access To Other Translators

What to know about bringing your family to the U.S.

On Behalf of | Jun 18, 2021 | Family Immigration |

Family is important to many people in Pennsylvania. Sometimes a father immigrates to the U.S. without his spouse and children to earn some money so he can make a home in their new country. After he is established and has a Green Card, he may greatly wish to be reunited with his spouse and children in the U.S. However, he may be concerned about how to legally obtain visas for them. The following is an overview of how Green Card holders can bring their family to live with them in the U.S.

Who can a Green Card holder bring to the U.S.?

If a Green Card holder wants to bring their family to the U.S. as permanent residents, the Green Card holder must file a petition to do so. A Green Card holder can petition for the following family members to immigrate to the U.S.: their spouse, their unmarried children under age 21 and their unmarried sons and daughters of any age.

Preference categories for family members

When visas are available to those of a specific preference category is based on the priority date on that the I-130 was filed. The preference category determines how long your family member will have to wait for an immigrant visa number. First preference is for unmarried sons and daughters ages 21 and older of U.S. citizens. Second preference (2A) is given to spouses of Green Card holders and unmarried children under age 21 of permanent residents. Second preference (2B) is given to unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents. Third preference is given to married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Finally, fourth preference is given to siblings of adult U.S. citizens.

Learn more about family immigration in the U.S.

This is only a brief overview of who can qualify for a family-based visa. This post does not contain legal advice. Those who want to learn more about family immigration are invited to explore our firm’s website for further information.



RSS Feed