Our Staff Is Fluent In Spanish and French. We Also Have Easy Access To Other Translators

How can I help my sibling immigrate to the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Jun 20, 2023 | Family Immigration |

Many immigrants try to bring their relatives from other countries to the United States. In your case, you may have a sibling who wants to immigrate here. However, certain steps are necessary to achieve your dream.

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website, filing a Form 1-130 is one step to help your brother or sister. To make your petition work, you must also fulfill the following actions.

Become a citizen

Since only U.S. citizens can sponsor a sibling, you should first attain citizenship through naturalization. However, if you believe you are already a citizen, you should try to prove your status. For example, you could provide a birth certificate showing you have a U.S. citizen as a parent.

Present evidence of your citizenship

When the time comes to petition for your sibling, you should show the U.S. government that you are a citizen. Copies of any of the following can serve as evidence:

  • Your birth certificate
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Your citizenship certificate
  • A naturalization certificate

You may also supply a copy of your U.S. passport. Make sure your passport is a valid document according to U.S. law.

Present evidence of your sibling relationship

The U.S. government also wants to know that you and your sibling have at least one single parent in common. To prove this relationship, you should provide copies of your birth certificate and the certificate of your sibling.

Finally, be aware of any complicating factors. For instance, your sibling may have changed his or her name. You may have to supply a legal document that proves the name change. These efforts could help your brother or sister enjoy a new life as a U.S. resident.


RSS Feed