Our Staff Is Fluent In Spanish and French. We Also Have Easy Access To Other Translators

Mexican citizens: Working in the US under the TN-2 visa

On Behalf of | Sep 5, 2023 | Visas |

The TN visa is a work visa that allows Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in the United States temporarily. While Canadians may apply for a TN-1 visa, Mexican citizens are specifically assigned under the TN-2 classification. This visa is a great opportunity for Mexicans to enter the U.S. and take advantage of its many opportunities.

If you want to work in the U.S., this right allows you to do so.

What is the TN visa?

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created the TN visa to support greater relations and trade between the U.S., Canada and Mexico. One of its main benefits is a faster and simpler application process than other types of visas. This visa lets skilled workers from Canada and Mexico work in the U.S. for a limited time in many different jobs, such as:

  • Engineers
  • Teachers
  • Pharmacists
  • Nurses
  • Librarians

After receiving a TN-2 visa, you can work in the U.S. for up to three years and bring your family. However, the U.S. does not allow them to work there by any means, but they may still attend school.

Can you apply for the visa?

The TN visa is nonimmigrant, meaning you do not receive a green card or permanent residency after it. Fortunately, the U.S. allows you to apply for the visa with the following requirements easily, provided that you qualify. The qualifications include that:

  • You are a Mexican citizen.
  • You have a contract or letter of employment in the U.S.
  • You are a professional under one of the listed NAFTA professions.
  • You have the necessary education and/or experience for your profession as required by the TN visa.

Additionally, you must also show that you do not plan to stay in the U.S. permanently. This means you must show a clear end date and will leave the U.S. once your work assignment is complete.

If you want to stay longer, you may request to extend your stay. Your employer can help fill out a form called the I-129 for you if you’re already in the U.S. This will let you keep working in the country for up to three more years, as long as you are still qualified.


RSS Feed