Our Staff Is Fluent In Spanish and French. We Also Have Easy Access To Other Translators

How soon can you return to the U.S. after deportation?

On Behalf of | May 24, 2021 | Deportation Defense |

If you’ve been deported or are going to be deported, one of the major questions you may have is how long you have to wait to return to the USA. Deportation isn’t as simple as sending you back to your home country and forgetting about it. Deportation can include longer-term bans, which means that you can’t even return for visits.

There are several different ban lengths that may affect if and when you can return to the USA. In some cases, you may not be able to return.

The five-year ban

To start with, there is a five-year ban. This ban usually applies to those who don’t come to a removal hearing. It may also apply to you if you were not eligible to enter the U.S. upon arrival. This is the lowest ban time.

A 10-year ban

The 10-year ban is among the most common. It’s typically applicable in cases where you are removed from the U.S. by an immigration judge. Even if you leave the country on your own, you may not be able to return for up to 10 years as a result of the removal proceedings.

The 20-year ban

Finally, there is a 20-year ban. This ban usually applies to those with more than one removal from the U.S. It may also apply if you were convicted of an aggravated felony while living in the United States.

Permanent bans are also possible in particularly egregious cases or in cases where you try to reenter within a year of deportation.

Should you fight deportation or wait for the ban to pass?

The length of time it takes for you to reenter the United States after deportation will vary based on the reason for deportation. That’s why it’s so important to fight against deportation and to appeal a deportation order rather than leaving the country. Once you leave, it can be difficult to get a visa to return before the ban expires. If you have family in the U.S. or have a reason to fear returning to your country, there may be other options open to you to help you stay in the country.


RSS Feed