Our Staff Is Fluent In Spanish and French. We Also Have Easy Access To Other Translators

Family preference visas and permanent residents

On Behalf of | Jun 14, 2022 | Family Immigration |

If you live in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident, you could have a number of different questions, especially if you have family members living in another country and you want to help them move to the U.S. However, it is important to note that family immigration options are more limited for lawful permanent residents in comparison to U.S. citizens.

That said, some lawful permanent residents have the ability to help their loved ones secure visas to join them in the U.S.

Filing a petition for a family preference visa

The U.S. Department of State reports that U.S. lawful permanent residents and citizens can file an immigrant visa petition for a family preference visa so certain relatives can live with them in the U.S. While citizens can apply on behalf of their spouse, child, parent or sibling, lawful permanent residents can only file a petition on behalf of their spouse or children (if the child is not married).

Other considerations on family preference visas

It is also important to realize that the U.S. limits the number of people who can come to the U.S. every year on family preference visas. As a result, you should try to move forward in a timely manner. Even though the process can take some time, try to stay optimistic.

If you are a lawful permanent resident and you want to help your marital partner, daughter or son move to the U.S., you need to carefully go over your options and the process of filing a visa petition in order to increase your chances of a favorable end result.


RSS Feed