Our Staff Is Fluent In Spanish and French. We Also Have Easy Access To Other Translators

Immigrating to the U.S. with loved ones

On Behalf of | May 24, 2024 | Family Immigration |

Moving to the United States with your family can be an exciting and life-changing experience. There are several ways families can immigrate, and understanding the process is the first step.

Family sponsorship

One of the most common ways for families to immigrate to the United States is through family sponsorship. If you have a relative who is a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (green card holder), they can sponsor you. U.S. citizens can sponsor their spouse, children under 21, and parents. These relatives are considered immediate family members, and there is no limit on the number of visas available for them each year.

U.S. citizens can also sponsor their siblings and children over 21, while green card holders can sponsor their spouse and unmarried children. However, these visas have annual limits, so the process might take longer.

Employment-based immigration

Another way to immigrate is through a job offer from a U.S. employer. This path can lead to a green card for both you and your family. First, you need a job offer from a U.S. employer. The employer must show that no qualified U.S. workers are available for the job, which involves a labor certification process. Once the certification is approved, the employer can file a petition for you.

There are several categories of employment-based visas, from EB-1 for priority workers to EB-5 for investors who create jobs in the U.S. Each category has different requirements and waiting times.

Diversity visa lottery

The Diversity Visa Lottery, also known as the Green Card Lottery, is another way to immigrate to the United States. Each year, the U.S. government randomly selects applicants from countries with low immigration rates to the U.S. You can enter the lottery by submitting an application online during the registration period. If selected, you and your family can apply for a diversity visa, which allows you to live and work in the U.S.

Refugee or asylum status

Families fleeing persecution in their home country can seek refugee or asylum status in the United States. You can apply for refugee status while outside the U.S. if you face persecution. This can be due to race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. If you are already in the U.S. or at a U.S. border, you can apply for asylum. If granted, you and your family can live in the U.S. and eventually apply for green cards.


Immigrating to the United States as a family involves several steps and options. Understanding each pathway can help you choose the best one for your family.


RSS Feed